Types of Edges For Quartz Countertops

You have finally decided on which kind of quartz you want and believe the hard part is over. Well, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. You still have one very important design element to choose: the edge style. Alongside the brilliant colors of quartz and the appliances in your kitchen, you need something that can balance everything out. Some homeowners want edging that looks as elegant as their stainless steel fixtures while others want something industrial and blunt.

Whatever your tastes, there is an edge style out there. We have gathered up the most popular quartz countertop edges, so you can see examples and find a favorite.

The Different Types of Edges for Quartz Countertops

You should always consider various types of edges for your quartz countertops because it is a touch of individuality that jazzes up the kitchen. As long as it is on the list below—and even if it isn’t—you can find an edge that works best for you.

Straight or Eased Edge

A straight edge can also be called an eased edge because the square ends are gently rounded to prevent sharpness. This option is aesthetically-pleasing and also rather safe. Since the edges are not pointed, bumping into it is less painful. That is why narrow kitchens or ones with tight angles and corners tend to use eased edges.

Beveled Edge

A beveled edge as a touch of richness to a countertop. The indicator is the soft 45-degree angle, forming a defined border. There are several variations that you can choose from, including a ½ or ¼ bevel. You can also choose which edge you want beveled—top, bottom, or both—for an additional effect.

Quarter Round Edge

Unlike the eased edge, the quarter round edge takes a little more from the top, so there is a more pronounced curvature. The quarter round edge is popular in both modern and traditional kitchens since it makes the counter look thicker.

Bullnose Edge

One of the most popular quartz countertop edges. A full bullnose is sophisticated and sleek. As you can imagine, the entire edge is curved, leaving it entirely smooth, with no hard edges. The bullnose is great for any style of kitchen or bathroom.

Half-Bullnose Edge

Many may confuse the half-bullnose edge with a quarter round because they look very similar. On closer inspection, you will notice that the curve of the half-bullnose is much more pronounced, taking away more of the stone from the edge, leaving the end thinner. A half-bullnose has a straight lower edge that is vaguely softened.

Ogee Edge

Another popular choice is the ogee edge or an S-shaped cut into the stone. Ogee edges are timeless and have a classical look about them.

Dupont and Cove Dupont Edge

The dupont and cove dupont styles are both similar to ogee but a bit more dramatic. With the regular dupont edge, there is a 90-degree angle accompanied with a rounded bottom edge. The cove dupont has a crescent curve that melds into the dupont 90-degree angle and arched bottom.

Waterfall Edge

As the name suggests, the waterfall edge is an edge that cascades down at a 90-degree angle from the countertop. Instead of you having a suddenly finished edge, the countertop takes a plunge down to the ground, sometimes merging with a seating area, kitchen island, or cabinetry. There are even waterfall edges that continue to the floor, creating a solid piece of stone.

Waterfall edges are some of the most popular quartz countertop edges thanks to the stone’s impressive durability. Aside from making a statement, a quartz countertop has the durability required for such a design and will not crack or fracture under the weight.

Mitered Edge

Similar to the above-mentioned waterfall type, a mitered edge extends downward, but it does not reach the floor. In essence, all waterfall edges are mitered edges, but not every mitered edge is going to be a waterfall. A mitered edge is fabricated by cutting an edge at 45 degrees then joining it with another piece of quartz. Because of the angle, the seam is unnoticeable. It is an optical illusion that makes the countertop appear thicker.

Custom Edge

If you find that the common countertop edges are not what you are looking for, you can find a number of stone companies that do the custom edging. For instance, some many do a chiseled or rock edge that leaves the end of the counter looking like it came from the quarry or geode.

Another option is to blend two of your favorite types.

What are Laminated Edges?

There are some countertop edges that are considered “laminated edges.” What that means is that two elements from dissimilar edge types are fused together to create a new look. Laminated edges are a good choice for those who want thicker edges with more presence. An example is the aforementioned Mitered Edge.

You might even see a Laminated Bullnose edge, which is a second Bullnose edge added beneath the end of the top Bullnose, forming a thick curve of quartz. Other combinations include Cove Dupont and Ogee, Ogee-Straight, and Laminated Ogee.

How are Edge Finishes for Quartz Countertops Created?

Prior to installation in your home, the fabrication facility, such as the one at Marble Concepts, gets to work on developing your decided countertop edges. The technology is sophisticated and complex, allowing the technicians to create any number of edges, including custom designs. The stone is gradually cut and smoothed to develop the edge along the entire slab of quartz (or any other stone countertop).

Which Quartz Countertop Edge Will You Choose?

Having gone through the list, you might be thinking about how there are so many choices to pick from. How will you ever decide? The first step is to see samples of the edges for visualization. Some are going to work with your kitchen’s design better than others. You can also ask us, the pros of Marble Concepts. Our expert team can help you decide on an edge that suits your kitchen best.

Stop searching for “granite companies near me.” Marble Concepts has everything you need to bring a little luxury to your kitchen and bathroom. Call us today at 215-396-7393 to set up an appointment. You can also fill out the contact form if you have any questions.